Now more than ever, it’s important to utilize digital platforms to reach your audience. That’s why it’s crushing when you realize your digital marketing strategy isn’t working as well as you’d hoped.
5 Signs Your Digital Marketing Strategy Isn’t Working
There are multiple signs that your marketing strategy isn’t quite up to snuff. Below, we’ll look at five common signs.
1. You Don’t Actually Have A Strategy
It’s probably pretty obvious that if you don’t have any strategy at all, you cannot have a winning strategy. However, this is probably the most common mistake we see businesses make. And, while it’s possible to not have an overall strategy, it’s important to at least pay attention to the effectiveness of what you are doing and where you are spending your marketing dollars.
Some examples of where we see clients losing due to their lack of strategies:
- spending thousands of dollars on Adwords or PPC campaigns without tracking conversions or implementing any way of tracking campaign success
- failure to professionally brand their businesses and failure to build brand recognition with the use of a strong consistent trademark across all media and digital channels
- spending money on ANYTHING marketing related without defining a goal or purpose
- thinking that digital marketing is something they can do themselves and then spending hours focusing their time on it while not producing results or quantifying the cost of the time they’ve spent
Even if you don’t have a large budget to spend on marketing or a professionally created digital marketing strategy, set aside enough money to at least consult with a digital marketing strategist on a regular basis. Have your website, campaigns and social media professionally reviewed!
2. Your Backlinks Are Poor Or Nonexistent
If you don’t have a backlink building strategy then you are failing at digital. Google ranks pages in part based on their backlinks. Backlinks are links that other sites post in their content that lead back to your site.
Google takes two things into consideration while ranking backlinks.
- First, there’s the number of backlinks. A lot of backlinks are a sign that your site is reliable and of high quality.
- Second, there’s the quality of backlinks. Backlinks on spam sites, adult sites, and other untrustworthy sites are considered irrelevant by Google’s algorithms.
And, backlinks aren’t only useful for your organic rank, but also drive traffic to your site naturally! If a potential client is reading a blog post on another website that features a link back to your website, then you could be earning traffic from people clicking through.
3. You Don’t Collect Lead Information
This is another huge mistake we see clients making. You’ve got a beautiful and informative website, but there is no way for a website visitor to convert to an actual sales lead or contact.
In digital marketing we call any part of your strategy that is designed to convert an unknown contact into a known contact, a “conversion point.” Conversion points include contact forms on your website, newsletter sign-up forms, eBook downloads, “Call Now” buttons, etc.
You cannot just place your phone number on your website and expect that your phone will be blowing up with sales calls. An effective digital strategy not only drives traffic to your website, but then pushes that traffic to take action. If you aren’t collecting lead info and converting website visitors to sales leads then your digital marketing strategy isn’t working.
4. You Don’t Follow Up On Leads
If you do gather lead information, what do you do with it? Do you reach out to said leads, or do you let them slip away?
If you let leads slide, it’s no surprise. Over 70% of lead generations are wasted.
You should always follow up on leads. That personal contact may mean the difference between a sale and a lost customer or client.
5. You Don’t Have Any Goals
Every successful digital marketing strategy needs a clear goal. If it doesn’t have one, then you won’t know which information to pay attention to. You won’t know if you’re earning the ROI you projected.
Many digital marketing strategies have simple goals. In some cases, they aim to generate more traffic, more leads, or more money. In others, they aim to raise brand awareness.
Need Help Formulating A Digital Marketing Strategy? Contact Us!
ClickFirst is a digital marketing firm based out of sunny St. Petersburg, Florida. From blogging to PPC to social media to web design, we cover all of your business’s needs at ClickFirst.
For help formulating a new digital strategy, contact us today. We respond to all inquiries as soon as possible.